Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is a 2 yr old black lab, diarrhea g or 2 days now this

Customer Question

She is a 2 yr old black lab, diarrhea g or 2 days now this morning seems all of her legs are sore especially her back legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does her diarrhea look like?

Any fecal scalding from her diarrhea or does she just seem weak?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is black, her gums are pink, she ate a ham bone yesterday and I tried giving her pepto be small lady night but she liked once and wouldn't have anymore
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

Was her diarrhea black before she had any Pepto Bismol?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Now I have not heard back but I am worried about your lass.

It sounds like her black stools were before any Pepto and it doesn't sound like she had much of that. If that is the case, our big worry we have here is that black feces. The reason that this is a serious concern because black tarry feces (melena) is something we see when a animal has a bleed in the upper region of the gastrointestinal tract (ie stomach or upper GI). The reason why the blood discolors the feces to black is due to the body digesting the blood as it passes down the intestine.

In regards ***** ***** for upper GI bleeds, the most common causes are stomach ulcers, stomach damage due to foreign body ingestion (the bone is a real worry here!), adverse reaction to some medications, and stomach or intestinal tumors. And it is worth noting that all of these issues would cause loose stools as well as the discoloration plus blood loss will cause weakening. And if the bone is caught low in the gut, that could also give her general pain in the back end.

With all this in mind, we do need to be proactive and aggressive in helping your gal (especially since we cannot see into her bleeding stomach to tell us if there is an ulcer about to perforate the stomach). Therefore, if possible, it would be ideal to get her to the vet urgently. They can help diagnose what is triggering her signs, make sure the bone isn't caught, and get her onto some oral gastroprotectants (ie sucralfate) to coat any open stomach lesions, GI safe pain relief (ie bupenorphine, etc), and anti-nausea medication as needed.

Any delay in having her seen and we’d need to start treating her with an antacid to lower the stomach acid pH. Common pet safe options we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). You will want to give these 20 minutes before offering food and under the circumstances you will want to treat every 12 hours.

Afterwards, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. They will help the diarrhea but also give the stomach acid something else to chew on. And you can add canned pumpkin to that +/- use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) to slow her stools (and that is ideal since Pepto has aspirin that can actually worsen ulcers in the stomach).
Overall, I am quite concerned about the signs you are seeing . They are tell us that we have an upper GI bleed that could be a sign of a stomach ulcer or possibly related to the bone being stuck. Therefore, it would be ideal to get her checked right away. If there is any delay in doing so, then do treat her with an antacid now and keep a close eye on for any emergency signs (ie belly pain or paling of her gums).

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.