Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

She weighs about 35 pounds and she just ate a 100 mg celecobix.

Customer Question

She weighs about 35 pounds and she just ate a 100 mg celecobix. What do I need to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Thelma she is 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Thelma?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Thelma's ingestion.

Unfortunately, We do not know the toxic dose of celecoxib (Celebrex) in dogs as this drug is metabolized differently in different individuals. Although this exposure is less than the dose expected for side effects, there is no way to know if your dog is a fast or slow metabolizer and if this will be a toxic dose or not. The best recommendation would be to take her to an emergency facility to give her an injection to make her vomit, activated charcoal to absorb anything that she does not bring up and fluids (IV is ideal but subcutaneous would be better than none) to help flush out her system as well as gastroprotectants (an antacid such as omeprazole (Pepcid), misoprostol, and a coating agent such as sucralfate).

As this drug is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, expected side effects would range from GI ulceration to kidney or liver failure.

Does this help to answer your questions today?