Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I let my dog have a pressed, rolled beef stick. I have let

Customer Question

I let my dog have a pressed, rolled beef stick. I have let him have these in the past but not so long a piece. He is good about chewing his food. But. this time he appears to be hyper ventilating. panting pretty heavy, for about 30 minutes. I had previously given one 50mg asparin, and let lick some vegetable oil from my hand. Is there anyting else I camn do for him. We have been out side playing. Is there anything else I can do for him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Karen
JA: How old is Karen?
Customer: Buddy, He is a 2 year old German Shepherd
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Karen?
Customer: I don't think so. I am not aware of any allergies. And, he is current on his shots.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Buddy.

Based on the situation before us, it does sound like Buddy has overindulged on this treat or that he may have ingested a piece bigger then he can move through his gut comfortably.

Now if we have a gut issue, we need to avoid using Aspirin and similar drugs. This is because these can actually increase nausea and the risk of stomach ulcers when used with ongoing gut issues. So, since it was a very small dose, we'd not be overly worried on this occasion but would not want to give any more for a case of this nature.

Instead, we need to help keep his stomach settled as we help him pass this. To start, if he seem nauseous, you can use an OTC pet safe antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)). After, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Usually even big pieces of these kinds of treats will break down and digest, but it can take time and there is a blockage risk until it does. So, we'd want to use supportive care with close monitoring just now. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods. Of course, if we did see any of those worrying signs or bloating (a non-related issue in this breed that can appear similarly), we’d be concerned and need him seen urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.