Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My male Lagoto dog adores swimming but gets occasional bad

Customer Question
ear infections. What can I...
My male Lagoto dog adores swimming but gets occasional bad ear infections. What can I do to solve his problem please/
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: The dog s name is ***** ***** he s about three years old. He loves our pool, the river, lakes etc
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Malty?
Customer: He has been licking one of his paws a lot until he s pulled out hair near his claws
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian

The best recommendation I can make at this point would be to clean out Malty's ears after each swim. You want to be sure to use an ear cleaner with a drying agent in it such as Epi-Otic, Malaket, Duoxo Micellular or similar product. Using this daily can help prevent ear infections by drying his ear canals and making it a less ideal environment for bacteria and yeast to grow in.

If he currently has an ear infection, it should also eye treated with an antibiotic and i recommend keeping him out of the water until the infection is gone as it will be nearly impossible to control if his ears continue to get wet. You may also want to use ear plugs to help prevent water from getting into his ears in the first place.

Does this help address your concerns today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian