Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

45 pound dog ate about a tablespoon of butter laced with

Customer Question
marijuana JA: I'm sorry to hear...
45 pound dog ate about a tablespoon of butter laced with marijuana
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Yes. darn. She's an American Stadforshire (PIT). 8 years old. her name is Dahli
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dahli?
Customer: No. she's in great health. vey active and actually pretty mellow.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

How long ago did she eat it? Is she having any signs or symptoms?

A potentially lethal dose for a 45 pound dog would be 60 gram of marijuana. Do you know about how many grams she ate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she ate it about half hour ago and a full tablespoon, Id say.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you going to respond to my Qs and A's here?

You can still induce vomiting then.

If we do not know how much was consumed, because we do not know how much marijuana was in the butter, then it would be best to induce vomiting.

First give her a piece of bread soaked in milk.

Then give her 5 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Try mixing it with some milk.

Otherwise if she will not drink it in milk then give it with a syringe or eye dropper.

Run her around to shake things up.

If she does not vomit in 5 minutes give her more of the peroxide.

You can give up to 3 doses of the peroxide then stops.

Do my directions make sense?

If she does not vomit there are some signs to watch for.

The marijuana usually gets in the system 30-120 minutes after ingested.

She may stumble and fall over. Her pupils may be dilated. She may have vomiting or be agitated.

If you are seeing those signs she needs to see the emergency vet for symptomatic treatment.

If she starts to have muscle tremors, seizures, coma, or unresponsive it is a life threatening condition and she needs to see a ER vet right away.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions for me?

If you are are set please rate my answer by clicking on the starts so I am credited for my time.

Many Thanks and Happy New Year.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian