Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

About a month ago my dog suddenly got alot of weakness in

Customer Question
his back legs. A fever...
About a month ago my dog suddenly got alot of weakness in his back legs. A fever. Weight loss. He's very irritable. Took him to the vet twice 2 different antibiotics. And he can't move his back legs well. In pain. She seems very sad. Any ideas on what could be wrong. She's 1 years old and im not sure on breed.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Sorry. It's a she not he.
1/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 10 months ago
Ola Barrett

Hello, I am Dr Ola and I would be happy to address your concern about Kipsy. Stomatitis has is auto-immune disease in which cats have a severe immune reaction (leading to ulceration) to dental plaque in the mouth. Often times, the antibiotics prescribed are done so help decrease bacterial load in the mouth so less reaction occurs. Good choices for antibiotics may include Convenia (injectable), Clindamycin or Metronidazole. Severe stomatitis often times is best controlled with full mouth teeth extraction to reduce the tartar all together and decrease ulceration. In the absence of such treatment, it is often recommend for steroids to given as a maintenance drug rather than a tapering course. But due to adverse side effects of steroids, teeth extraction is better for cats long term. Because of the auto-immune nature, Prednisone needs to given at an immunosuppressive dose rather than an anti-inflammatory drug.

I recommend that you make a follow up appointment with Kipsy's veterinarian this week to address this. Discuss with your veterinarian your options such a dental extraction, adjusting the Prednisone dosage and/or changing the antibiotic choice. Unfortunately, stomatitis is too chronic of disease to treat with home care alone, however it can be beneficial once oral ulcerations are stable in nature.

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

Kipsy is a dog and in your responds it says that it's something cats get. I also you'll have added that the vet said there seemed to be an issue with her lyranix and her stomach. He wasn't sure what was wrong with her so just prescribed 2 different antibiotics to cover a wide variety of stuff. It did seem to take away her fever but she still seems to be in alot of pain. I have to carry her up and down the stairs cuz she can't move her back legs. She is a completely different dog than she was a month ago.
Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 10 months ago

Hello, I apologize, I had another question about a cat named Kipsy and mixed up the responses to the questions!

Given Kipsy's symptoms of weakness/pain in the back legs and fever, do you remember if you veterinarian completely any blood test on him such as a complete blood count, or evaluation of any tick borne diseases. With his symptoms and young age, I would be strongly suspicious of an infection and/or inflammatory disease affective neurologic function and this is where I would begin. Furthermore, did Kipsy receive his full set of puppy vaccinations including distemper?

The vet did not do a blood test or testing of any kind really. Just visually. And yes she is up to date on shots however I don't know it distemper was one of them.
Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 10 months ago

Okay, the first step is to reach a correct diagnosis! Given her pain/discomfort level, I would make an appointment for her tomorrow morning (either by the same clinic or new one) for appropriate diagnostics to be before. A thorough physical exam will help your vet determine if this is an acute neurological issue (such as trauma or injury causing an issue with the spinal column) or infection/inflammatory in nature (such as tick borne blood disease, tick borne paralysis, or bacterial meningitis). The minimum of diagnostics tests that need to be completed include complete blood count, blood chemistries, urinalysis and x-rays of the spine to evaluate the intervertebral discs. Given the length of time that these symptoms have progress and depending on results of above tests, you may also need to discuss a referral with a neurologist.

Again, I hope this was helpful for you. Let me know if you have additional questions about anything? Also, please take the time and considerate gesture to rate our conversation as "excellent" so I may receive payment for answering your question?

Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 10 months ago

Good morning:) Please let me know if I can clarify or expand on anything here. If you are happy with my response, please take the time to rate my answer to your question about Kipsy. This ensures I receive feedback as well as credit for my professional time and is highly appreciated..

Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett