Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My daschund is 5 years old and he was 22 lbs and lost 4 lbs.

Customer Question
(we both on a diet)...
My daschund is 5 years old and he was 22 lbs and lost 4 lbs. (we both on a diet). I noticed that his rear right leg (knee or stifle) bone protruding more than his left and that he has more of an indent on the thighbone. He walks, runs, and plays with his toys fine. He’s eating and drinking his water. I don’t want it to get worse. I touch it but he doesn’t flinch. I have an appointment with the vet on Saturday but should I take him to the emergency room today?
tsk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: hes is a mini daschund
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rocco
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocco?
Customer: no he good has all his shots took him 2 weeks ago
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

From what you have described, I would not take Rocco in to the emergency hospital this weekend. He is walking normally, eating and drinking well, so is obviously comfortable. Because he is a dachshund, we obviously always worry about their backs. I would only recommend taking him in if he was not wanting to get around normally, was acting painful, or showed any wobbliness to his gait. Please ask any follow up questions. If you are satisfied with my response, then please take time to rate my response. Happy New Year. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian