Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Mate I've got a 3-4 yr old kelpie x and a 6-7yr old boxer x

Customer Question

Hi,mate I've got a 3-4 yr old kelpie x and a 6-7yr old boxer x kelpie/ridgeback/bull Arab the boxer has had a bit of a throaty sort of cough and sneezes for 6 to 12 months on and off but the last couple of weeks she's had a runny nose that occasionally drips constantly and she seems somewhat lethargic most of the time but has heaps of energy when it's time to go to the beach or for a walk..it looks as though there is a bit of swelling around the kidney area on both sides and the feel rather hard .. she has had kidney problems before but has been ok since a diet change but she got barrelled over by a 4wd on the beach about 6months ago and it seems to have slowly gotten worse since but now in the last 1/2 weeks my kelpie X has started sneezing and has a running nose and a cough and is started to pant heavily also and is getting slightly lethargic too..I'm 500 kilometres from the nearest vet and am starting to worry a bit now.. any thoughts.. I'm thinking the symptoms may indicate hepatitis/distemper?? Maybe? Hi happy new year
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks. Same to you!
Customer: I just don't know what's going on I'm starting to freak out now because I'm so far away from the vet now both of them are doing the same thing
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help X. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about X?
Customer: That's about all I can think of at the moment
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Arab. Her upper respiratory symptoms are consistent with an allergic sinusitis/rhinitis, chronic infectious sinusitis/rhinitis - bacterial or fungal, or perhaps the under-diagnosed immune-mediated plasmacytic lymphocytic rhinitis. I understand your logistical constraints, however. In light of them, until you could have a vet take a look at Arab, I would see how an over the counter antihistamine such as Piriton (chlorpheniramine) dosed at 8 mg once or twice daily affects her.

A vet is likely to recommend scoping and possibly biopsying of the inside of Arab's nose, oropharynx (back of her throat), and nasopharynx. No, neither hepatitis nor distemper are important considerations. Those symmetrical swellings are likely to represent her paralumbar fat pads which can become more apparent in obese dogs or dogs in which the abdomen has been pulled down due to weak abdominal musculature or fluid collecting in the abdominal cavity.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know she's definitely had problems with the kidneys they both must've eaten something dodgy awhile back because they both went funny and peeing flat out and had the vet do a blood test and wat not on the Arab because she was the worst at the time throwing up straight after she ate and always doing the throaty cough and they were both badly constipated and it stunk and was looking bloody and black and just looked mangey with poor coats.. The test came back indicating high protein or enzymes and probable acute renal failure....I changed there diet and they came good but I can't buy the grain free limited ingredient food where I am so I was thinking it was the food slowly making her worse..but the last week it's just gotten bad and it does explain why my younger dog it now suddenly sneezing and coughing and virtually panting frantically on and off all of a sudden she has never done anything like it before. Other then a bad nose bleed when she was a pup after I sprayed fly spray in the house.. ..In regards ***** ***** antihistamines I've never heard of that brand while phenergen be ok to give them?

Phenergan isn't recommended for use in dogs. Chlorpheniramine/chlorphenamine or diphenhydramine are common over the counter antihistamines in Australia. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's all good I'll just stay on here.. so any ideas on the sudden symptoms the kelpie is now showing also???

I'm not allowed to discuss another pet in depth in this conversation but I can say that your kelpie's respiratory symptoms sound to be just what Arab has been doing. That suggests something contagious or they're both suffering from an allergic sinusitis/rhinitis.