Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have found a lump (size of an egg) on the back of the neck

Customer Question
Hello, JA: Hello. What do you...
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have found a lump (size of an egg) on the back of the neck on my German Shepherd 8 month old pup, what could this be please?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ttyler, the lump seems to move freely.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ttyler?
Customer: She is very active and has, in the last two weeks been sterilised
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has this been present?

Is it firm, soft, fluidy, or sore to the touch?

Has she had any injections in this site recently?

Any rough housing with other dogs or injury at this site?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek

It has only just come, yes she has had injections in this site recently, and it is soft and fluidy, it does not appear to hurt her at all

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate when we see any lump on our pups, we do have to consider a range of issues. If she had an injection recently, we could have a mild allergic reaction, hematoma, or infection (abscess). Of course,we can also see this with non-related trauma induced hematomas, soft tissue swelling, abscesses, and insect sting induced allergic reactions.

Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to try and rule out some of these. To start, since we may have an allergic reaction here with Tyler, we can try to counter that with an antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Furthermore, to reduce swelling with any of these sudden appearing concerns, you can also start warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Now if you use the above, but the lump doesn't settle within 24 hours, then it does mean that we need to consider those other issues. In that case, we'd want Tyler's vet to evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If blood or blood stained fluid is removed, then trauma was most likely and pain relief/pet-safe anti-inflammatories can be used to settle the swelling.

Overall, if this lump is sudden in appearance, we would consider those initial sudden onset concerns for Tyler. Therefore, as long as it’s not painful or obviously draining pus, then you can try the above to rule out those aforementioned concerns. Otherwise, if this doesn’t settle over the weekend; then we’d want to have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Thank you I will try the warm compress (sock & Rice)
Best regards.
Pauline Parkinson

You are very welcome, Pauline. :)

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian