Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions
Hi my name is***** and I can offer some advice.
poor Nellie. Her appetite is decreased also?
So diarrhea and decreased appetite but otherwise no other complaints correct?
your not responding but I will type you an answer. It sounds like Nellie has diarrhea and an upset stomach.
The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.This is what I would do for now:
1. With hold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice.
4. you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
5. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.