Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog got cut between his toes it was a superficial cut

Customer Question
Hi so my dog got...
Hi so my dog got cut between his toes it was a superficial cut didn't look to deep my boyfriend just put neosproin on it is he going to be ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: It did start bleeding about an hour ago but it stooped pretty quickly
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's like 4 months and his name is hodor
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about hodor?
Customer: Not really I'm just very anxious at first I was worried it was a chipped nail but I looked at it and its like between his web
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How big is the wound?

2- Is he licking the wound?

Not very deep kind of hard to see it bleed but not for very long maybe 10 min at most. He licked it when it first started but now hes not really licking it every now and then but I'll tell him to stop

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

If it is hard to see it is small enough that it should heal as an open wound with ease. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an E-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day. For tonight you can flush with plain warm water.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Would it help disenfect it if I put warm water and salt in the bath and let him stand it will that help disenfect because I don't really have money right at this moment to buy disinfectant stuff

Don't use salt it can be very irritating to an open wound. Just flush with plain warm water. Let the warm water run on the wound for a few minutes. Then, dry and apply the topical antibiotic. Flushing with water is wonderful to keep the wound clean and help heal sooner.

One other question I have we have two dogs my boyfriend said that when I wasn't here he tried cutting the dogs nail and he hit his quick and that one nail isn't growing it don't seem like it bothered the dog I just noticed it when looking at his nail

It is not a problem; likely was cut short and nail may take a little longer to grow back.

Its been a while though and its just stayed at that same length for a little bit more than a while

Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do if the nail is not growing, I am sorry.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian