Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has symetrical swelling on the top sides of each hind

Customer Question

My dog has symetrical swelling on the top sides of each hind leg. It looks like it appeared in the last two to three days. She goes for walks, eats, drinks, sleeps normally but has difficulty climbing stairs right now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Juna
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Juna?
Customer: She's a six year old shepherd mix with no health issues otherwise. She did slip off of my bed recently and has been going under the bed a lot even though she has to drag herself out. She also had some symmetrical hair loss in the same spot that we think came from crawling from under the bed. The hair has mostly grown back.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I believe that you're referring to the sublumbar fat pads which can become more apparent in obese dogs or dogs in which the abdominal musculature has weakened and sagged making those pads more prominent. Such weakening is seen with Cushing's disease and conditions leading to abdominal effusions which also tug the abdomen down. These are also known as "love handles". They're not painful and shouldn't be incriminated in her difficulty climbing stairs. Instead, her hips and lower spine (caudal equina) should be areas of interest and X-rayed to see is osteoarthritic changes exist.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.