jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

The dog delivered 2 pups and the third one is breach and

Customer Question

The dog delivered 2 pups and the third one is breach and stuck. I live in the mountain two hours from a city. I have tried to pull the puppy to no avail. The puppy is dead and I can feel one or two more in the mama. How could I get the puppy out?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?
Customer: The dog delivered 2 pups and the third one is breach and stuck. I live in the mountain two hours from a city. I have tried to pull the puppy to no avail. The puppy is dead and I can feel one or two more in the mama. How could I get the puppy out?
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: The mama cries and bites me as I try to pull the dead puppy out.
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Angel.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Angel?
Customer: This is her first litter.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 8 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is not that unusual for a puppy to be born breach. Now a pup can become stuck in the birth canal. About all you can do is try and work with her contractions. If possible get the pups that were delivered live to start nursing. Them nursing helps strengthen the contractions. You will want to wait for a contraction and as she pushes, you tug slightly but no matter what, try to not let the pup slip back up inside the mother. This might help her deliver the pup.

I know it is very far away for you, but the best chance she has is to see the vet. You would need to bundle mom and the pups up with blankets and a warm car and keep them with mom and warm if at all possible. I have to tell you that is the recommended course of action at this time.

Now I do know some breeders that depending on the size of the dog will try and help a pup by wearing sterile gloves and trying to run their finger around the pup where the pup appears to be stuck. I don't recommend doing this for someone that is not experienced with whelping. Mom is already hurting and often will attempt to bite. My recommendation is trying to get a firm grip on the pup when she has the next contraction and help stop it from slipping back in. I generally do not even tug but help work with the mom's contractions.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear and I wished there was more I could recommend from home. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.