petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My Shih Tzu has been in her bed for 2-3 days. No energy. She

Customer Question

My Shih Tzu has been in her bed for 2-3 days. No energy. She has chills and wants to be covered up at all times. Doesn't want to move. Has good appetite. Not sure what's wrong or what to do. She's always full of energy just not like her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: A while back she had issues with her back legs. She couldn't move them but she was put on treatment and she was able to walk fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Dr. Z Ok! Thank you!
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Molly today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Is she able to get up to defecate and urinate?

Have you taken her temperature to see if she has a fever?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She's able to potty. And no I haven't yet
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

Does she move about normally or is she slow and hesitant?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Slow and hesitant. She doesn't want to move. She walks fine when we take her out to potty. But she's just shaky like if she's cold.
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

Sometimes dogs that are in pain will shiver. Is she knuckling on any of her legs or dragging a leg?

Was her previous problem with her legs due to arthritis or a back problem? How was it treated?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No she walks ok but isn't really walking at all.
Yes the vet didn't really give me a diagnosis. They prescribed tramadol and prednisone but we only gave her 3 days and my parents took her to a different vet and gave her injections which helped a lot and she's been fine since. This happen around June
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

Based on her history and current symptoms, I am very concerned that she may be dealing with a bulging disc in her back that may be causing spinal pain. If it hurts, many dogs just choose not to move. A disc problem can cause symptoms ranging from pain to loss of function, so if that is what she is dealing with, it sounds like it may only be painful and not as serious a losing function of limbs. If that is what is occurring, she should be evaluated neurologically to make sure it is not progressing and so that pain meds can be offered. Of course, it is always possible that there could be something else altogether, and a thorough physical exam may help to determine that.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

Here is a link with more information about disc disease in dogs. LINK HERE

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

You are welcome and good luck with her.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If she has a fever what would be normal? And what can I give her if that's the case?
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

The normal temperature for a dog ranges between about 99.5 and 102.5 degrees. We don't usually treat the fever itself, other than to identify and treat the cause of the fever. If she has a fever, she should definitely be examined to try to find out why.