Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She keeps eating fur out of the carpet and hacking up

Customer Question

She keeps eating fur out of the carpet and hacking up hairballs I'm just wondering what's causing this behavior and how to make it stop
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Galaxy, she's a one year old maltese about 5 pounds.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Galaxy?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now to see Galaxy lick the carpet suggests that she has a low grade nausea. Some dogs will do this instead of eating grass when nauseous, where the hair irritates the stomach to help them vomit just as the grass would. In this case, we'd want to see if we can soothe her stomach. To do so, you can try her with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

As well, we can try her with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As well, to just help any lingering hair or other items in her stomach pass into the intestines, you can try adding OTC cat hairball treatment and canned pumpkin to her diet. The former will help anything present slip through the gut and the fiber in pumpkin will help push it out the other end. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, Galaxy's signs suggest that she has a low grade persisting nausea. So, we can use the above to address that for her while also making sure she is up to date on worming (we'd do it again if its been over a month). If she settles, we are happy. But if this lingers, then we'd want a full check with her vet (consider moving up her next booster appointment) to make sure there are no low grade infections or anything still caught that we need to address for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I'll try that thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.