Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My son bought a german shepherd puppy two days ago. This

Customer Question

My son bought a german shepherd puppy two days ago. This mornning there were several piles for lack of a better word of mucousy substance with a very long worm in it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zoey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?
Customer: We know nothing about the breeder. Our 17 year old son bought her without our knowledge.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Was the pup wormed before he brought her home?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting since these were found?

Is Zoey eating and drinking?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He doesn't know if she was wormed. No gagging etc. Her gums are pink. She is eating and drinking water. These just started this morning.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now worming information should have been in any paperwork that came with this puppy. If he doesn't have any for Zoey (usually a sign of a less then ideal breeder, but he may need to ring the source if there is any doubt), then I would assume she hasn't been wormed and that she is vomiting (since its mucus) roundworms up due to a having a high worm burden. Therefore, the best way to approach this would be to worm her with a high quality wormer like Panacur/Fenbendazole. And I would warn that when you worm her, you likely will see more roundworms (the long worm) in her stool and possibly vomiting up for the day or so after it is given. That is fine and we'd want to keep worming monthly until she is 6 months of age.

As well, since she is otherwise well, you need only monitor but if she is unsettled at all you could also start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). These are easy on the gut and can help with stomach upset and reduce diarrhea if we see any.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this over the counter medication
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are they contagious to our other pets/people
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

Most vets will dispense this over the counter, though she may need to be popped in for a weight. But some pet stores will carry a good quality one like the one I noted or at least a standard one you can use. And these are not a risk to you but can be spread to any other dogs so they may need to wormed if not done so recently.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.