Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog is on diazepam and he never misses a dose a month ago

Customer Question

My dog is on diazepam and he never misses a dose a month ago he had 5 in 2 hours now today he had had 9 in 2 hours. What do I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: I just told you!!
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He is having seizures even on meds
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jason 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jason?
Customer: He started this in October put him on diazepam and now in the last month he has had 14 seizures
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Diazepam is not typically a medication that is used on a daily basis to prevent seizures. I would discuss with your veterinarian that this dog needs to be on something like phenobarbital to prevent the seizures. At this time, however, he is in the middle of what we call a cluster seizure, and it seems to be severe. He needs to be hospitalized for 24 hours on IV medications at this time. I would call your vet clinic and ask where the nearest 24 hour facility is and take him there.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** reply to this he is at a clinic on IV and heavily sedated. It isn't my normal Vet but he is now.

Just following up... how is he doing now?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Jason is still in the hospital but they say they changed his meds to phenobarbital and he is still sedated but resting. I might get to take him home tomorrow depending on how he adjusts to the new meds.

That is great news! I am so glad they have him on Phenobarbital now instead of just valium. He will take 2 weeks or so to adjust to the medication, so don't be scared when he seems very tired and lethargic. Good luck! Feel free to keep me posted, and please remember to rate my service so that I will receive credit for assisting you. Happy New Year!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.