Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She had a lot of bleeding a few weeks ago I though it was a

Customer Question
bad heat. Her belly...
She had a lot of bleeding a few weeks ago I though it was a bad heat. Her belly is now swollen she wont eat and hind legs stopped working today for a smal period of time. She is breathing deeply with a slight wine that indicates pain to me. Ther eis no vet opened.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: I gave her some amoxicillin as I saw on line it could be a baterial infection I gave it yesterday night , this morning and tonight. It seemed to help but then she thre up tonight about 15 minutes ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to have a critically ill dog in need of immediate attention. The bleeding you saw a few weeks ago and now a swollen belly suggests pyometra - an infection in her uterus which is now greatly distended with pus. If I'm correct, only surgical removal of her uterus and ancillary therapy in the form of IV fluids and antibiotics can help her. I regret that this isn't something you can manage with home care.

May I have an update on your dog, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian