Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has shakes, was vomiting and diarrhea. Drank alot

Customer Question

My dog has shakes, was vomiting and diarrhea. Drank alot today but not eating. Throwing up bile. Had last steroid and antibiotic last night.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she been showing signs?

Why is she on those 2 treatments? Had she these signs before starting them?

What does her vomit and diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Only been showing signs a day and a half. She was on steroids and antibiotics for a hot spot. No blood in stool or vomit. Gums don't look abnormal. They're moist. No unusual stomach pain noticeable. I can't think of anything she could have eaten. Only thing I noticed her eating the day before was her food. No coughing either.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. To start. we can see vomiting and diarrhea as side effects of both medications she is on. As well, the increased thirst will be due to the steroids and it does have an immune dampening effect so we can also see these signs due to secondary infections of the gut.

With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

At the same time, we can give her 24 hours off her antibiotic to see if that helps get her settled. And since steroids have to be weaned down, you could try a half dose or giving it just once daily if she is on twice daily. And if she settles, then we may need to restart the antibiotics and normal dose of steroids. Or ring her vet once they are open about altering the treatment to better suit her stomach.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) can be added to firm her feces quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

As well, if she is very runny, we could also use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Or a Kaolin/probiotic combination paste like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, her signs raise a few concerns. This could be directly related to her medications upsetting her stomach but it is possible we have a gut infection present too. So, we can start the above to try to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration and adjust her treatment to keep her stomach settled as we address her hot spot.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?

Dr. B.