Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog got into his food bag and ate about 11 cups of dry

Customer Question
Hi, so my dog got...
Hi, so my dog got into his food bag and ate about 11 cups of dry dog food. He is visibly bloating but laying down. He is a German Shepherd mix at around 60 pounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is a little over 1
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gander?
Customer: His usual diet is 3 cups of food a day. So he ate almost 4 days worth of food
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your fellow got into his bag of food and ate roughly 4 days worth of food, enough that his abdomen is noticeably larger than usual.

The great news is that he does not seem to be at all distressed by this and is able to comfortably rest. He has what is known as food bloat, distention of the gastrointestinal tract due to overeating.

We need to make sure that he takes in enough fluids to keep the food soft and able to move through his gastrointestinal tract rather than getting too dry leading to an impaction. Offer small amount frequently of fresh water, ice cubes to lick, and warmed low salt chicken or beef broth to drink.

We also need to make sure that he isn't overly active which can lead to swallowing air or painful intestinal cramping. Slow walks are fine to keep things moving, but running and overly rambunctious play should not be allowed.

I would not feed him for a good 24 hours. His stomach should look almost normal before he is fed again. When you do feed him, feed him roughly 1/4 the amount you normally would twice daily. Slowly increase meal size back to normal over the next few days.

You can expect that he will most likely have some diarrhea, but that should clear up on its own over the next 48 to 72 hours.

If he attempting to vomit but unable to do so, his belly looks even more distended and very tight, or he won't lay down and settle, or he is pawing at his mouth or staggering, then I recommend he see a veterinarian immediately as this can also be a sign of true bloat, a rare occurrence but life threatening if allowed to progress.

As long as he remains relatively comfortable and happy, takes in plenty of fluids and is passing stool, and has an appetite when he is finally fed then he should return to normal over the next few days.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I am sorry I noticed that you have now requested a phone call. I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can ask any follow-up questions here & I will be happy to chat with you here.

Should I regulate his liquid intake?
Also, it is night here, so should I stay up with him to make sure he is OK?
I did hear about some dogs having really bad problems later at night and sometimes dying because their owner is asleep...
how often should I take him out to go poop? Hourly?
Also, I just heard him burp a few times but no attempts to vomit yet

Yes, small amounts of liquid frequently.

Do not let him drink a lot at one time.

I would either have him sleep in your room tonight or sleep on the couch with him. That way if he begins retching or is up and uncomfortable and moving around you know about it.

I would take him out every couple of hours.

OK. And what signs should I watch out for that may lead to bloating?
Also, his genital area stinks quite a bit. Smells a bit acidy? He is usually odor free in that area. But I noticed the smell after he got into his food

Unproductive retching, a rapidly expanding, tight abdomen rather than his abdomen slowly decreasing in size, inability to lay down and settle, staggering and then falling down and inability to rise.

Not sure what to make of the odor.

Perhaps he was licking his abdomen because it is uncomfortable and saliva and skin oil led to an odor?

OK. Thank you for your time. You've put me a little more at ease. Have a good night and happy new year.
One more thing. He is whining a little but now. But still laying down...

You are very welcome, please give me an update tomorrow and let me know how things go for him, thanks, ***** *****

He probably does have a stomach ache, so you do need to watch him closely. If his discomfort is increasing it may be best to have him seen on an emergency basis and have them place a gastric lavage tube to try to remove the food.

Just an update. Gander managed to throw up about 2 cups of undigested food

Well that's actually good news. Hopefully he will feel better now.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian