Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Our hunting dog is peeing blood. He seems to feel fine.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jake, 8. Llewelyn setter.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about jake?
Customer: This happened once before several years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

If Jake is intact (not neutered), acute prostatitis is the most important consideration when such hematuria (blood in the urine) or frank bleeding is seen from the penis. This is best addressed by neutering and two weeks of an antibiotic that penetrates well into the prostate gland such as trimeth sulfa and enrofloxacin. Less commonly, a simple urinary tract infection or trauma to the urinary tract will cause such bleeding.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I didn't realize that this was duplicate question. Dr. Gabby had already responded to you. Please contact***@******.*** or http://ww2.justanswer.com/help to have this question closed lest you be charged twice.