Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Penny, our Kelpie. 2 yr old. Black & Tan. Black tail turning

Customer Question

Penny, our Kelpie. 2 yr old. Black & Tan. Black tail turning orange. She reacts irritably when we try to touch it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Penny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: Otherwise she appears normal other than holding her tell mrs upright than usual. We are on holiday in NSW with her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The bronzing of the hair you're seeing occurs from both saliva staining and contamination of the skin by yeast (Malassezia). Neither are primary disorders. Saliva staining occurs from persistent wetting of that area by Penny's mouth and yeast infections arise secondary to another condition - often an allergic dermatitis.

Please don't get hurt trying to examine that area closely. Let a vet manage Penny for you and clip and clean that area so the extent and severity of the skin lesion can be determined. Injury to the skin is most likely although Penny may have altered that area to the point that the original insult to it is no longer discernible. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.