Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate a bottle of stool softeners and a steroid! My IBS

Customer Question

My dog ate a bottle of stool softeners and a steroid! My IBS medicine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is a German Shepard, elkhound mix and he is about a year and a half old
JA: How old is Kato?
Customer: A year and a half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kato?
Customer: Not much, we are on vacation and the person watching him just called and told me that. Other than that he's a super health dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You deserve the courtesy of a response. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Kato, please?

The steroid is a non-issue. The stool softeners (docusate sodium?) in excess can cause cramping, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal mucosal damage.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I haven't been updated on him yet, but yes. He ate a whole
Bottle of that!

Yikes. Hopefully no news is good news but I would expect the GI distress I mentioned above. Please continue our conversation if you wish.