Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog got a bravecto chew on 12/10. He had fleas, and I

Customer Question

My dog got a bravecto chew on 12/10. He had fleas, and I took him to the vet. Now I see what I think is a tick on his penis sack. I can send a picture. I have never seen a live tick. This is aprox 1/4 inch brown thing. I found it this morning when checking his skin rash and looking for fleas. Need help identifying so please send a quick reply so it shows up on my phone; and I'll send back a picture of the thing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I would be happy to evaluate a picture.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I saw a method to remove ticks on youtube that uses frontline directly on the tick. I have generic Petarmor plus for dogs, generic Frontline. I thought that might work, if it's a tick. I hope you can tell from my picture.
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

It is really difficult to tell from the picture, but it does not look like a tick to me. Have you tried to gently tug on it to see if it is movable?

Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

When a tick is attached, the head will be where it is attached and the body will be slightly movable if you gently pull on it. It is easier to see this if the tick in engorged.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
checking.
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

And if it is smaller, and not as engorged, you can usually identify the legs.

Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was afraid to pull on it. So I just pulled on it and it came off. It must have been a healing wound from a flea bite. I plan to give him a bath this weekend. I've been giving him omega 3 supplements to help with skin irritation. He was miserable with the fleas. I did not want to take tweezers to that part of the poor fellow. Thanks
Expert:  petdrz replied 9 months ago.

Yes, that is more what it looked like in the picture. You are welcome and I am glad his flea problem is resolving.