petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My 14 year old dog dog has hyperthyroidism with a slow

Customer Question

My 14 year old dog dog has hyperthyroidism with a slow growing thyroid tumor. She is generally doing well. I have a hard time keeping her weight up. Any recommendations for a high calorie dog food.l
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Allie. I have opted not to biopsy or remove the tumor or her throid so we don't know if the tumor is cancer
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Allie?
Customer: Her Gi system is a bit touchy, tends toward diarrhea if I'm not careful with her diet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Allie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

If Allie does have a thyroid tumor and it is producing excess thyroid hormone, her metabolism is in a hypermetabolism state and that is why she has a hard time keeping weight on. It doesn' matter how much or what you feed her, her increased metabolism will simply burn it up and she won't have any calories left to use for weight gain or muscle mass. Circulating increased thyroid hormone may also be responsible for her touchy GI system and diarrhea as well and we see this fairly regularly when treating hyperthyroid cats.

Even if you opt to not treat her tumor with surgery, she may benefit by lowering her thyroid levels with medication. The commonly prescribed medication is called methimazole. It will not do anything to shrink a thyroid tumor, but it can potentially help to decreased the circulating thyroid levels in her bloodstream and thereby decrease the effects it has on her metabolism and her other organs.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z