Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We bred our sweet Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and about 4

days before due date, we...
We bred our sweet Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and about 4 days before due date, we saw black slime discharge. Took her to the vet and vet recommended c section. Puppies came out premature- 6 in litter- one died minutes after the c section. Kept the 5 puppies in warmed box with heating pad, hand feeding with bottles and droppers every 2 hours. Puppies began having seizures and dying day 2. Mother totally rejected litter, so we were trying to do everything to keep them alive. Started giving remaining puppies honey drop before feeding, but didn't seem to help. All puppies died by end of day 2. We are devastated. It was our first litter. We want to try again- we purchased great dogs with champion lines and very healthy in order to breed. Is it safe to breed her again? What causes detached placenta? What are the chances it will happen again?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Cavalier King Charles spaniel?
Customer: No
12/29/2016
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I can't tell you how sorry I am that you've had this horrific experience with your first litter:( It's absolutely gut-wrenching when the entire litter is lost.

Clearly, mom knew that something wasn't right since she rejected the litter although sometimes it is possible to keep them alive with intensive care....although in many cases, it's just not meant to be regardless of how much effort is put into keeping them alive.

What causes detached placenta? I wish we knew what caused this condition but, unfortunately, we don't. There are all sorts of theories which range from an aged uterus to infection but these are all theories....we really don't know for sure.

I had this happen to one of my litters where 7 of the 8 puppies detached prematurely and, of course, I lost all 7. Why one survived is still a mystery to me but at least I was able to keep that one alive with the help of his mom.

Is it safe to breed her again? There's no reason not to breed her again; I certainly would if the mom is healthy.

What are the chances it will happen again? Hard to say but in my conversations/discussions with breeders to whom this has happened, it doesn't seem to be a problem with subsequent breedings.

It's not a common problem but it's not particularly rare either for those folks who have been breeding for years.

I know how devastatingly heartbroken you must be but you did all that you could do for these babies; they probably had birth defects so severe which explains their seizures and why they ultimately all died.

I hope this helps to put some perspective on this situation although I know it doesn't lessen the pain. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian