Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My shizu is 12 yrs old ...she has a bloody fishy smelling

Customer Question

My shizu is 12 yrs old ...she has a bloody fishy smelling discharge and has for a few days. All she does is sleep...she is moving around slower but still eats and drinks as normal. She used to love going outside but now i have to actually carry her out there to potty and then she comes back in and goes back to sleep. Is she in the stages of dying ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your Shih Tzu, and worried as well. Where is the discharge from, near her anus or from her vagina? A really important question: is she spayed?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

If the discharge is from near her anus, this may be an anal gland infection, and she may only need some antibiotics to get better. If she is not spayed, and the discharge is from her vagina, this may be an emergency.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! How is she doing? Was this helpful; can I answer any other questions?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?