How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29829
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Two dogs got into just got into "just one bite" Snoopy 5

Customer Question

Two dogs got into just got into "just one bite"
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Snoopy 5 50lbs, Jenny 6 and 55-60lbs
JA: How old is Snoopy?
Customer: 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snoopy?
Customer: It is just one bite rat poison
Also we called poison control for humans they said that the dogs should be fine but to watch them for bleeding in the gums, mouth etc. we are unsure how much they actually injested. We think maybe less than half of one bar per dog. Poison control said that the product was so diluted it should not pose a problem but we could call pet poison control if we felt we needed to since they specifically don't deal with pets. He said he would not be concerned but would watch them. I gave them peroxide and they have thrown up. Snoopy had bits of pieces of what looks like to be part of the bar. Not too much though. They could have gotten into it at 2:30 pm or within the last hour and a half which is 10:30- 11:30 pm.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to clarify if Hunt One Bite EX or Just One Bite II was ingested. The former contains the neurotoxin bromethalin which should trigger decontamination by emesis (as you did) when as little as 0.23 mg/lb of the bromethalin was ingested. There's 2.84 mg of bromethalin in each ounce of product. The latter contains the anticogulant rodenticide bromadiolone which is a weak anticoagulant with an LD50 (the amount that kills 50% of dogs) of not less than 78 ounces in a 22 lb dog.

I don't believe either toxin is worrisome considering the size of your dogs but I'd like to know which rodenticide was present, please.