Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Cavalier KC spaniel has been scratching and itching for

Customer Question

my Cavalier KC spaniel has been scratching and itching for the past few months and now has an open sore on his hind leg . He is on Royal Canin Ultimato dog food for 2 weeks to see if it's a food allergy . No improvement . He had a tick bite 5 months ago with no sore at sight or changes in behaviour . His allergy started before then . Seems happy and eat well otherwise . Is it an environmental allergy ???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Canin?
Customer: The food he is on is ROYAL CANIN ULTIMATO , for food allergenic dogs . His name is ***** *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 8 months ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Nico. How old is Nico? Is this the first time he has had any problems with itching? Is the back end the only place he is itching? Any problems with his ears or chewing his feet? Did the vet do any tests to check for parasites or skin infections? What medications beside the food is he on?