Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has had aural edema in her ear & we decided to allow

Customer Question

My dog has had aural edema in her ear & we decided to allow her body to resorb the blood due to her age, which is 14. Tonight she was rubbing that side of her face & squinching her eyes up. This looks like an indication of pain. That side of her face is swollen as well. I have a script of my own for IC AMOX-CLAV 875-125 mg. Do I dare give it to her? I can't see the vet until Mon.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No per my vet she is in remarkedly good shape & appears far younger than 14. She weighs 57 lbs by the way.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Did the ear hematoma get bigger since she started showing these additional signs?

Any wounds or sores around the swollen area of her face?

Any discharge?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cleaned her ear last evening, which had a lot of brown gunk in it. I keep a bottle of Mal Otic on hand because I have beagles who are prone to ear problems & after cleaning & applying the Mal Otic she seemed to feel a bit better. I will watch her today & see how she does.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now that sounds like a reasonable plan of action, though if the side of her face is swollen that does raise concerns of possible allergic reaction or soft tissue inflammation from her scratching. So, further to treating her ear (our likely primary issue for all her signs), you will want to warm compress that swollen area +/- treat with Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl) to counter allergic issues for her here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.