Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 13 yr. old pickapoo house dog that is constipated

Customer Question

I have a 13 yr. old pickapoo house dog that is constipated and has been for several days. we have tried Pet milk and syrup to no effect what can we do here at home?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Boss
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boss?
Customer: No just that he is getting old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now pet milk doesn't usually help constipation cases, its cow's milk specifically that we use (since the lactose can increased gut movement). So, you could try that for Boss just now or there are some other options you can try if that isn't helping. To start, consider giving him a few doses of OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Finally, if he is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity and can help get things moving again. It'd be ideal to offer this with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting fluids into him. We need to also encourage him to drink since constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he has access to fresh water at all times and you can even flavor this with a bit of milk or low salt chicken broth. Of course, if you use these and see no stool in the next 24 hours (since this sounds to have been ongoing for a bit longer then is safe), then we'd want a check with his vet as he may need an enema under sedation at this point.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )