Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

Our Springer is limping on her front left leg, listless,

Customer Question

Our Springer is limping on her front left leg, listless, discharge from eyes and twitches when you touch her head?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 7 months ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Chiro. When did this all start? Is she eating and drinking? Any vomiting or diarrhea? What color is the eye discharge and are the white part of the eyes red or is she holding her eyes closed? If you turn her head does she seem painful? Is there any way you can get a rectal temperature on her?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Her eyes are red and the discharge is thick but white. She had to be coaxed to eat and has drank water. She does seem to want to close her eyes. She is currently taking Gabapentin and Proin. Turning her head didn't seem to be painful but felt stiff. She flinches when you go to pet her on the head. When she walks she holds her head low. She normally "cries" when we get home. She has made no noise at all.

I'm sorry I'm not able to take phone calls at this time but I can open it up to another expert who may be able to help you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Texting is fine.

Ok sorry. Give me a minute to type my reply

Red eyes can be a sign of a few things. First of all it could be a sign of what is called an uveitis. That is where there is inflammation in the eye and the eye pressures get too low. It can happen for a variety of reasons but systemic infections, inflammation or cancer are high up on the list of causes. Just for instance, tick borne diseases like Lyme disease can cause systemic inflammation and lameness and secondary uveitis. So the way it is diagnosed is to take the eye pressures and if they are low then treat the eyes with topical antibiotics and steroids BUT look for other systemic diseases with bloodwork, urinalysis or x rays.

The other reason for the red eyes is Glaucoma and that is where the pressure is too high. That is an emergency treatment because the dog can lose vision if not corrected right away. Treatment is eye drops and sometimes oral medications. I wouldn't think that glaucoma can cause limping though. She is on gabapentin I assume she is on for pain from arthritis or something like that? Neck pain can cause limping and the dogs are very painful and reluctant to turn their heads or lift them up. This can be because of an infection or a pinched nerve or compressed disc in the spinal cord. X rays or MRI would show that but I could make a case that an infection (called discospondylitis) in the spinal cord could cause pain and the eye problem too. So I guess what I'm saying is that she should probably by examined as soon as possible. Does this help?

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Her rectal temp is 103.3. We live in a small town and don't have access to a vet until the morning. Will that be too late?

Well if it is glaucoma, perhaps. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do for her at home to prevent blindness, only control pain. However my feeling is that it is something like a systemic infection, especially with the fever. You can try to give her some buffered aspirin for the pain. One 325 mg buffered aspirin will be safe to give. No tylenol or ibuprofen however. Make sure she at least is drinking to keep her hydrated. It is ok to give ice cubes if she will take them or gatorade/pedialyte.

Oh and for her eyes keep the matter cleaned away from her eyes if she will let you. Also there is a product called Genteal drops that may help keep her eyes comfortable for now until she can be seen. Do not use anything like Visine.

How is Chiro doing today?