Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 month old basset hound has bad red diarrhea, clear…

My 10 month old basset...
My 10 month old basset hound has bad red diarrhea, clear vomiting, loss of appetite and he just started shaking when I'm holding him. The diarrhea started yesterday and the other symptoms started today. He ate some leftovers the other day. Could he just have a bad upset tummy? Or could it be something more serious?
12/11/2016
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

I need to ask a few additional questions

1. How many parvo vaccinations has he had?

2. Is he drinking and keeping water down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I honestly don't know if he's had any part of shots. I took him to vet when is was 5 months old & got him caught up on shots then. He is actually my son's dog and I'm dog-sitting get him.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was eating earlier today, but now he isn't he just wants to go outside
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was in the veterinary office about 6 weeks ago for possible hip displaysia but that ended up being growing pains. The vet didn't mention any parvo vaccines at that time

Ok thank you,

It is sounding serious.

Anytime there is red bloody diarrhea they can dehydrate very quickly.

The blood means the lining of the intestines are so inflamed they are bleeding.

It could be a gastrointestinal bacteria or parasitic infection.

He could have eaten something that is stuck in his gastrointestinal tract.

He may have the parvo virus.

Regardless of the cause he needs to see a vet right now. I would not do a "wait and see" with what you are describing. The emergency clinics are open 24-7.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's what I was afraid of. I'll take him in...that's just you.

Ok great. That is the best thing to do.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian