Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog keeps reguritating his his food. He has been to vet a

Customer Question
my dog keeps reguritating his...
my dog keeps reguritating his his food. He has been to vet a number of time and she gave him famotidine. Is this ok to give him. He is a 7 pound pomeranian
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ollie sometimes the food is still in whole form like he isn't even chewing it
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no…he doesn't do it all the time which is the strange part for me. She did an exam on him and said there is no pain in his stomach so not sure why he is doing this
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Carole Cocagne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I'm Dr.Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. To answer your question yes it is safe to give Famotidine and I recommend it regularly. However, it might be worth some investigation as to why your dog is regurgitating. Has the vet done any bloodwork or x rays? When he brings up his food does he actively retch before hand or just passively bring it up without active abdominal contractions?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian