Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a very special 12 year old female pit. She recently

Customer Question

I have a very special 12 year old female pit bull. She recently had to have emergency surgery because of a uterine infection. She has not been herself since. She no longer follows commands. she has difficulty seeing. She is mostly catatonic. and does not recognize her surroundings. She also is progressing in her in ability to stand and walk. Can you tell me what it going on with my dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would also like to add that she is eating well and drinking well she just seems in great discomfort when she needs to go potty. heavy panting and and seems to walk to the right almost in circles.I have also noticed that she seems to have tightness in her abdomen.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

I am so sorry to hear this! Unspayed females are at great risk for developing pyometra later in life, and then having to have emergency surgery to remove the uterus. Unfortunately, undergoing anesthesia when there is a serious infection in the body and the dog is geriatric is risky, and there can be complications. I suspect that your dog may have experienced a blood clot in the brain during the procedure, or it is possible that there was a brain tumor that was not causing a problem, but then the anesthesia somehow made it worse. Some of the symptoms, though, sound like back pain- the discomfort when going to the bathroom, the heavy panting, and losing the ability to stand and walk. The steroids should have helped that if they were going to, so there isn't a lot more that can be done by a regular vet except give pain medications such as gabapentin. If you are willing, I would see a neurologist for an MRI to see what is going on in the brain... that's the only way to know. If that is not an option financially, I would ask your vet to keep the dog on steroids for a month and go from there. This does not sound like a good situation, and I am so sorry.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you tell me what an MRI will do and what to expect by leaving her on steroids for a month will do?

An MRI is a high-tech type of imaging that will allow us to see inside the brain to see if there is a tumor or a blood clot, etc. Steroids will help with back pain by relieving inflamed discs, and steroids can also shrink down brain tumors temporarily and can relieve brain inflamation. So if you can't do an MRI, steroids are the next best treatment for neurologic symptoms of unknown cause.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Saddle. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.