Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How are 18 month old Shih Tzu who weighs 13 pounds will go 1

Customer Question
to 2 days without eating...
How are 18 month old Shih Tzu who weighs 13 pounds will go 1 to 2 days without eating at times. She is also a very finicky eater. Is this normal behavior or is that something we should be concerned about? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I definitely do see this in some breeds more than others and Shih Tzu's are one breed I have this issue with. I would consider a homemade diet that is well balanced and perhaps including ground chicken (lean) versus the thigh which is higher in fat to entice a more consistent appetite. There is a book I refer to for feeding homemade diets, Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats

I also would consider a raw diet such as the Instinct formula, which I rarely recommend but sometimes this is the way to get them to eat more consistently...

I hope this is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian