Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

A friend of mine without my permission have my 4 year old

Customer Question

A friend of mine without my permission have my 4 year old therapy dog a 5 mg of valium and 1/4 of benadryl and he yochon
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Crying like very hyper he drank water won't eat
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Caramelo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Caramelo?
Customer: I never feed him people food always keep 100% uure pumpkin or tan sweet potatoes never been sick up to date on his shots hasn't slept I love him very much
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

I understand a that a "friend" gave your 4 year old therapy dog a 5 mg of valium and 1/4 of benadryl. These are drugs that can be used in dogs, but of course it is inappropriate to do so when they aren't prescribed for him and not necessary. I do have some questions for you.

1. How much dies Caramelo weigh?
  2. How many milligrams was the Benadryl tablet? (usual tablet size is 25mgs)
  3. Is Caramelo a healthy dog?
  4. Is Caramelo currently taking any other medications?
  5. How long ago were these pills given?
  6. I understand from you write up he is crying, hyper and refusing to eat but will drink, is that correct?
  7. Is he uncoordinated?