Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is on oral famotidine once/day. His usual dose is 1/2…

My dog is on oral...
My dog is on oral famotidine once/day. His usual dose is 1/2 of an OTC generic pill, which I *think* would make his dose at 5mg (he weighs approximately 40lbs)? I thought I had more in the medicine cabinet but I don't. Instead, I have a "Pepcid Complete Chewable," which also contains an antacid. A full pill contains: Famotidine 10mg, Calcium carbonate 800mg, and Magnesium Hydroxide 165mg. Am I safe to split one of these to give to him until I get to the pharmacy to pick up some more "plain" famotidine? Or should I skip it? PS--I also looked at the inactive ingredients are there are NO sugar alcohols, including xylitol, which I know can be toxic.
12/4/2016
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

A 40 lb dog should be dosed at 0.25 mg/lb = 10 mg for Bailey. The Pepcid Complete is a good choice at a full pill. The other antacids - calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide - can be considered "gravy" and of little consequence in my patient receiving famotidine. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The OTCs must've been 20mg--it's been so long since I've purchased them and I had transferred them into another bottle after splitting them so I didn't have the original to source from. Once again, a fast and helpful response from you. Thank you so much! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

You're welcome, Michelle. Happy holidays to you too!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Hi Michelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian