Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She has muscle spasms. I take Soma 350 mg for sleep. Can I

Customer Question

She has muscle spasms. I take Soma 350 mg for sleep. Can I use this for my dog who is 80 lbs, without bad results?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shanga
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shanga?
Customer: She is 12 yrs old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I just don't want to give her something that may hurt her. She also has a leg she will not walk on. Had surgery on it and she refuses to use it.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. No, Soma (carisoprodol) and other human skeletal muscle relaxants such as baclofen, tizanidine, and cyclobenzaprine are poorly tolerated in dogs and should be avoided in that species. Methocarbamol is the drug of choice and diazepam (Valium) can be used as well. Please let me know if you have these and I can give you a dose for them.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My husband has Valium.

I'll dose diazepam at the anecdotal dose of between 2-10 mg/dog up to thrice daily. The dosing of this drug in dogs is much higher than in people. 10 mg in an 80 lb dog is actually quite a small dose but may provide the relief you're looking for in Shanga. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?