Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Accidentally gave my dog 500 mg of melatonin.... will she be…

Customer Question
accidentally gave my dog 500...
accidentally gave my dog 500 mg of melatonin.... will she be fine?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago was this given?

What is her weight?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
about 10 min ago. She weighs 60lbs
It may have been closer to 250mg, as she didn't eat the whole pill (spit out some bits and pieces).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?

Thank you for your patience,

Now this is quite an overdose even for a dog her size. That said, the side effects from this tend to be quite mild (sedation, GI upset). Therefore, we can err on the side of caution or monitor her. If you wish to do the former, our first step would be to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you! She is currently injured and in pain from a fractured ischiatic tuberosity incurred in a car accident. Our vet put her on an NSAID for the pain, but I don't feel comfortable giving it to her, so am trying to find some effective natural alternatives. I think I will just wait it out and see how she's doing in the morning. She does have some GI issues and is already on prescription food and several supplements for that.So that said, in your professional opinion, do you think this is a logical choice? Personally, I think she will be fine...

Hi again,

You are very welcome and given the safety range of Melatonin monitoring is fine. We just want to make sure that she isn't overly sedate with this.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.