Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a hot spot he's been chewing at for a week

Customer Question

my dog has a hot spot he's been chewing at for a week (Australian Shepherd 10yr). he's been living with me since July 3rd. my family says he's lost weight and he only eats when I'm around. he's stomach is making alot of noise, if you want pictures of the hot spot or video of the stomach noise please contact me
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Where is the hot spot on him?

When did you last treat for fleas and what product did you use?

Any diet change in the months before this started?

Has he had any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is he on a new diet since these signs started?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
right side, an inch from his tail,3 inches in diameter.
i give him flea baths every week or so but i haven't had a chance of late. its been about 2 and a half
he did vomit last night but what he threw up was mostly hair from chewing at the hotspot (hes a long hair)
changed him to senior diet when i got him in july
i didnt see any signs of ring worm or tape worm.( rings or "rice" in stool)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we need to tread with care if he is losing weight, has increased gut noise and a vairable appetite. It may be that the hair is irriating the stomach, but we’d be wary of underlying health issues at Jasper’s age. So, for the moment, we need to block his access to the hot spot (to remove hair as a cause), can treat his increased gut sounds/upset with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)], but if that doesn’t settle this then we’d want to have him checked.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** skin, we can try some supportive care to help it settle. Of course, if it is severe; then we'd need to have her local vet dispense oral antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories to treat this from the inside out.

Otherwise, to start, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness/irritation.

As well, since these hot spots can be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, we need to tread with care with Jasper. The above can be started to soothe his hot spot and get his skin healed. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or he doesn't settle with the above (or we see more GI upset); then we'd want to have this checked by your vet as systemic/oral treatment may be needed to clear this and we may need to look for other causes of the gut signs.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
him throwing up hair was just last night but him losing weight didnt happen last week, he was living with my parents but they had too many dogs so i took jasper and i know their dogs have a little weight on them so him losing weight would of been natural in a more active life that i give him . and hes at a more normal weight than what he was. i came here for a diagnosis. you gave me a few options. im sorry if this sounds rude. i just want to know whats wrong with him. what causes the stomach sounds? what causes hot spots. how do i prevent this from happening again. is it contagious?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

It is important to remember that definitive diagnoses are not possible for any vet (or doctor either) without examining a patient in person. I have greatly narrowed down causes for you but he would need a check up and bloods to pinpoint the root cause of his vomiting and weight loss. Though if he has been losing weight for longer, you would be best to first address the skin and GI upset sounds you reported first. From there, we may see him settle since often that will strip weight from them. Otherwise, we'd be thinking organ dysfunction, metabolic disease or cancer behind his weight loss. None of these are contagious thankfully but can be serious for him at his age. And in regards ***** ***** hot spots, good skin health, treating for fleas, and addressing allergies (either try a different diet or use the antihistamine as noted) will be the best steps against recurrence.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasper. How is everything going?

Dr. B.