Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog have sores on her body I have had her to vet got med

My dog have sores on her body I have had her to vet got med and shot but nothing has helped. She smells

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has she had these signs?

Where are these on her body?

Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, ulcers, dander, crusting, etc)?

When did you last treat for fleas and what product did you use?

Any diet change in the months before this started?

What drugs did your vet use specifically?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The sores are now mainly on her stomach and between her vagina and rectum area. It was healing but she licks and the sores flares up. I bathe her and no fleas. She doesn't scratch she licks.

Thank you,

Now it is a shame you weren't able to list the medication your vet used, as it would allow me to fully appreciate what has been ruled out and what treatments we may consider for her. In any case, even though this isn't a typical flea allergy dermatitis focus, it'd be worth properly treating her for fleas. Shampoos only have limited use and really we'd want to be using a good quality spot on (ie Advantage II or Multi, Revolution, Advantix, Vectra 3-D, etc). That way we can fully rule them out.

Otherwise, our next step would be to topically treat these lesions. To do so, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. And if she smells, we'd hope this helps but if she is leaking urine or diarrhea (as that can cause signs like this), you'd need her vet to address that to settle this too. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put a ecollar on her or use boxer shorts (turned backwards for a tail hole) as a breathable cover to protect this.

Finally, since licking supports it being irritating for her, we'd want to consider a trial on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight 2-3 daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Hi Johnnie M. May,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
GM Dr. B I'm trying your advice and hoping for best for my little girl

Thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that you are and hopefully we can get her more comfortable.

Take care,

Dr. B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )