Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

She's had very foul breath for a few weeks, and has somewhat

Customer Question

She's had very foul breath for a few weeks, and has somewhat frequent diarrhea (once a week or so) without any change in diet or any other changes
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 8 year old Pomeranian
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Pomeranian?
Customer: She's had very foul breath for a few weeks, and has somewhat frequent diarrhea (once a week or so) without any change in diet or any other changes. She's up to date on vaccinations and worming as well
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the Pomeranian can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Pomeranian's name?
Customer: Sadie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 9 months ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with Sadie. I'm sorry to hear she is having diarrhea. Is she having any vomiting? How is her appetite?

The bad breath may be related to the diarrhea, if there is an imbalance in her gastrointestinal tract. The foul breath could also just be periodontal disease, as these smaller breeds are very prone to dental disease as they get older.

It sounds like there haven't been any diet changes, so there could be a few things going on causing the diarrhea. Let me know about her appetite and if theres any vomiting and we will go from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There's been some vomiting, but it's been just light spit up. She has never had much of an appetite, it's not uncommon for her to not eat for a day, so it's hard to tell.

Ok, I understand. There could be several causes to her symptoms. One easy thing to do would be to drop off a stool sample to your veterinarian to rule out any parasites as a cause of the diarrhea.

In addition to parasites, we could be dealing with other causes, such as dietary sensitivity, bacterial overgrowth, pancreas problems, inflammatory bowel disease, etc. A lot of these issues look very similar in symptoms, and often are basic tests are normal.

I would suggest trying a limited ingredient grain free diet. Natural Balance makes a few. I like to stick with one protein source, such as fish and potato, or duck and potato. Alternatively, you could do a bland diet at home, such as boiled chicken and rice, and then slowly transition back to regular food. This would give the GI tract some time to heal.

I think some good probiotics are in order here as well. There are a few ways to do this. There is a human probiotic called Align that we frequently use in dogs. There is a veterinary product called Fortiflora that works well. Or you can get some good quality, cultured yogurt and put a small amount on the food daily. This will help get some good gut bacteria forming.

I hope this is helpful. Post back with further questions,

Dr. Snow