Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogue de bordeaux is 10months and she developed a limp in

Customer Question
her front left leg, she...
my dogue de bordeaux is 10months and she developed a limp in her front left leg, she doesn't whine or complain about it, no swelling, and thankfully she is still in good spirits she continues to try an play rough even though she is hopping around for the last 4 days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: i have, i looked for a wound, glass, splinter or insect bite, but i can't find anything bother her paw, i have also pressed on the underside of her paw and she won't complain
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: maggie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about maggie?
Customer: no,that is her only symptom
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok

I'm sorry to hear that Maggie has developed a limp on her left front leg.

Does her limp seem to worsen with exercise?

I understand that she doesn't seem painful with touching her leg but is there any pain when you try to flex or extend any of the joints in that leg?

Did this happen suddenly? If so what happened right before he began limping?

Has she had a veterinary examination and radiographs of the affected leg?

Is she bigger then normal for her breed or overweight?

What are you feeding her?

In big, muscular, fast growing breeds we need to be careful that we don't overfeed and push growth rate. Ideally she should be eating a large breed puppy diet and she should be kept on the thin side to decrease stress on growing joints.

Since she doesn't seem overly painful and given your history it is likely that this is a soft tissue (ligament or tendon) or cartilage problem with one of her joints rather than a fracture.

Common problems that lead to a limp in the front legs in larger breed puppies are elbow dysplasia, eosinophillic panosteitis, hypertrophic osteodytrophy, or shoulder OCD (osteochondrosis dessicans). These all worsen with exercise or excess use. They are diagnosed by radiographs most of the time but sometimes require an MRI to diagnose.

In her case because she feels well otherwise I would be most concerned about a shoulder OCD or elbow dysplasia.

Because her limp is persisting I highly recommend that she see her veterinarian after exercise or play when her limp will be more apparent. They will examine her to look for the painful area and will likely want to take radiographs under sedation. Treatment will depend upon diagnosis but can include rest and anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, and omega 3 fatty acids and glucosamine chondroitin supplements to possible surgery to remove cartilage flaps depending upon the problem.

In the meantime I do recommend strict rest. Soft tissue injuries can take months of rest to heal and won't heal if she continues to return to full activity too soon.

I also recommend glucosamine/chondroitin products (like cosequin-ds) plus omega-3 fatty acids. Adding an omega 3 supplement which is a natural anti-inflammatory will help as together they work synergistically, better than either one alone. These supplements can take 6 to 8 weeks to see an improvement with their use. I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 80 pound dog could take 1600mg of EPA per day.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian