How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5222
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I explained in the question, She is a 14 yr old maltapoo and

Customer Question

I explained in the question
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She is a 14 yr old maltapoo and weighed 10 lbs. she passed last Wed while we were at an RV PARK in FL. She picks up most what she finds on the floor but eats 2x a day. I think she found a 5mg tab of ambien. She slept but was ok. I believe she also ate an acorn while she was out excercising. That afternoon she was vomiting and I did see what looked like chewed acorn. She started frothing toward evening. When that stopped I held her but she passed about 4am . Was either ambien or acorns poisonous?
JA: Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: The pill, yes but she swallowed before I could get it. I saw acorn mush in her vomit
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this loss of your girl. I'm going to say that the passing wouldn't be super suspicious for an Ambien toxicity. It isn't a medication that typically in an overdose situation causes this type of outcome in that manner. As far as the acorn causing this, I wouldn't be overly suspicious there too. Usually with acorn problems, a foreign body situation is the issue and they have vomiting with that. The situation can turn critical, but that is usually days out after the vomiting starts and even then, it can be identified and treated with surgery if an obstruction is there. I wouldn't expect it to progress this quickly. I honestly would be more suspicious of some other toxicity that at this time hasn't been identified. Purely based on location, two quickly fatal toxicities that are in that Florida environment can be the Cane toad and the Sago Palm. They are in that environment and if either is eaten, it can be very fatal quickly.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
neither would cause this? It's not likely she got into either of the two you mentioned but thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.

I wouldn't feel that getting into a single 5 mg of Ambien would have caused this. As far as acorn and them causing a poisoning, I wouldn't have been that suspicious of them either. Could she have had some underlying heart issue? Sometimes with that they can pass quickly. Some may vomit as their bodies are that stressed. If she found acorns, could she have found a cane toad in that same environment?