Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can dogs have a stroke? My 12 yr old Diabetic black lab came

in from outside with his...
can dogs have a stroke? My 12 yr old Diabetic black lab came in from outside with his rt eyelid drooping.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is Maya
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?
Customer: she has "sun-downer's like symptoms at night...confused disoriented.
11/28/2016
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. The occurrence of strokes in dogs is still not well understood. It had been thought for a long time that dogs do not get strokes due to the more extensive blood supply to their brain as compared to humans. That thinking has changed in the past few years. The symptoms can vary and include loss of consciousness, inability to walk, lack of coordination, a head tilt, abnormal eye movements and positioning, abnormal behavior and falling to one side. What you are describing is more of a symptom of facial nerve paralysis and not a brain related function. That can come about from trauma, hypothyroidism, a middle ear infection, a tumor or idiopathic (unknown cause). Idiopathic is by far the most common diagnosis made. If the eye looks sunken, the pupil is constricted and the third eyelid is protruding, then that may be a condition called Horner's syndrome, which can be caused by very similar things, but may also include a bulging disk in the neck or a tumor in the chest or brain. With him being diabetic, it most likely is due to inflammation of the facial nerve. If he is acting normal otherwise, but this is still persisting, I would have your vet check it out. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Thank you!! I'm a nurse of 30 years and you have explained things very nicely. I'll make an appointment to see her vet tomorrow. Poor gal it's so hard to see her decline! :(
Thanks again!

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Thanks! she's at my side and is alert. I'll bring her to the vet tomorrow. Thanks again.

Sounds good. If for some reason her condition deteriorates, I wouldn't hesitate to have her evaluated tonight. Chances are that she will be fine, though.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Maya is doing and to see if you have any further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian