How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5542
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She passed away on Wed. The day before she sealed 5 mg

Customer Question

She passed away on Wed. The day before she sealed 5 mg ambien. She was loopy for a while but ok that evening. But she picks up everything that looks interesting and while wandering the campsite in Vero FL she may have injested acorns that resemble nuts. She was Piotr all day, toward evening she vomited and was dry heaving and then frothing. She is 10 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Coconut...a maltapoo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She is a vacuum cleaner.. I need to watch her .
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Did I understand correctly that Coconut consumed not only 5mg of ambient roughly 24 hours before dying but she also may have consumed acorns a few days prior?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

The Ambien she consumed is higher than a dosage we would otherwise use in dogs, but the information I have available to me shows that the dosage was not in the toxic range. That said, acorns can be toxic to dogs. They are, of the two things that she likely ingested, to be the culprit for the vomiting. Acorns are also known to cause kidney disease and may also have contributed to her death. Without a necropsy, I doubt you're going to get 100% certainty, however if I had to pin point a suspected cause I would look more toward the acorns than the ambien.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: