Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She had a bladder issue put her meds, but now she's not

Customer Question
interested in eating at all...
she had a bladder issue put her meds, but now she's not interested in eating at all and getting worse by the day
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: the kids just refer to her as pup, she was a rescue dog but we think about 12 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pupy lol
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: she has build up below her eys
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am sorry to hear Pupy is not feeling well. Can you please tell me what bladder problems she is having and what medications she was placed on?

I am sorry if you are having issues with the site, I am online another 30 minutes tonight and will do my best to assist you both.

There is a possibility that the medications she is on is making things worse for her but knowing which medications these are will help me guide my recommendations. Please call your veterinarian in the morning regardless to adjust the medications and hopefully allow these progressive symptoms to subside...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we took her off the meds a few days ago, at first we noticed she lost bladder control the meds seemed to have helped but now she just wont eat at all loosing weight and looks pretty sad no happy dog behind her eyes

Was the medication proin or des? Has she had any vomiting or diarrhea? Nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass)?

I do wonder if there is something else going on besides a reaction to the medication but if it was proin then some dogs can have severe side effects from this medication and although she may need supportive care to help her through this acute phase she should start to improve but I do strongly urge you have her seen by your veterinarian in the morning

Some things to start now:
- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. Again I would advise discussing with your vet possible causes of the reduced appetite and your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am online another 15 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Pupy to see how she was doing today? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Hi Shaun,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian