Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 12 year old French bulldog has had bad allergies since

she was a pup. Deathly...
My 12 year old French bulldog has had bad allergies since she was a pup. Deathly allergic to most protein. At age three I put her on strictly raw rabbit and venison and she has been fine for the last 8 years with a perfect stomach. Then about 3 months ago she had a minor surgery and had a benign tumor removed from her mouth. From the moment I brought her home she had bad diarrhea with mucus. Vet put her on metronidazole which did not help. We tried bland diet of rice or potato - both made it worse. I started giving her kaopectate and it helped solidify the stool a bit but still not perfect. We did stool tests and everything was normal. Whenever I stopped the kaopectate the stool got softer- muddy/ Watery consistency. Vet said to add tylan powder and keep the kaopectate . It helped a little for a bit but never got normal and eventually stopped helping. Vet added 10 days of bactryl but it didn't do much. Vet did blood tests and redid stool and everything is normal. My dog is still on tylan and kaopectate right now and for the last 2 weeks it's been consistently muddy/watery stool. Vet says to just keep doing what I'm doing but there is no improvement! Please advise any suggestions!Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also FYI.. The mucus stopped after the first month. The last two months have just been muddy/watery...
11/28/2016
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I am sorry to hear that she is having these diarrhea problems. I know it must be frustrating. There are a couple things you haven't mentioned that I would try. I would see if your vet can get him on Endosorb and start on a probiotic (Fortiflora would be ideal). I know you can get Fortiflora online, but I am not sure about Endosorb. I want to say that you can only get it through a veterinarian. It will help to absorb the bacterial toxins in the GI tract to support a healthier environment. The Fortiflora will help to establish beneficial bacteria into the GI tract. They may be able to help reset her system. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** speak to my vet tomorrow and try this. Hope it works!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, do you think I should continue the tylan and kaopectate on top of the endosorb and Fortiflora or stop those?

You are very welcome. I hope it works as well. I know how chronic diarrhea can get old very quickly. I forgot to ask if you got her back on the raw rabbit and venison diet yet? Also, it may be a good idea for your vet to run a GI panel if they have not already. It will measure cobalamin levels, folate levels and for pancreatic insufficiency. She may need to be on pancreatic enzyme or cobalamin supplementation. It may also be helpful for your vet to refer her for upper and lower GI endoscopy. I would use the medications together. If resolving, I would back taper down either the Tylan or kaopectate one at a time to see if necessary. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Frenchie is doing and to see if you have any further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi there!
my vet had never heard of endosorb. he wants me to try doing lomotil/metroydizole/kaopectate for a week. he said i could also try fortiflora but i decided it was too many things at once so i waited on the fortiflora. she was slightly better for that week- still not normal and muddy consistency but at least it wasn't completely watery. a few days in i added the fortiflora and her stool turned to complete water. so i stopped the fortiflora and it went back to mud like consistency. so none of those 4 medications really solved the problem. i ordered some endosorb online and started it about 3 days ago. the first 2 days there was very slight improvement but i didn't think it was really working. then today her stool was normal! i don't want to jinx things but i am very excited. I was wondering however, how long do i continue giving this when she is normal? do i stop it and see if the diarreah comes back or is it something i can keep her on regularly?
Also- i bought the liquid but it only comes in 4oz bottles. if i keep her on this long term i will have to switch to the pill which comes in larger quantity. Is there a difference in the effect of pill vs liquid?thanks!
mo

Yeah!!! I would at least keep her on it for 2-3 weeks, then try to gradually take her off of it and see how she does. It shouldn't make any difference between the liquid or pill. Anything is possible. If you switch, see if you can get the smallest quantity as possible in case she does get diarrhea when you switch. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian