Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3.5 month old puppy was on a walk with me. He often put

Customer Question
My 3.5 month old puppy...
My 3.5 month old puppy was on a walk with me. He often put things in his mouth, but doesn't try to eat it. Usually he drops what he has in exchange for a treat. Tonight he suddenly started trying to eat everything outside which is totally unusual for him. He even tried to eat an entire leaf which normally he brings to me for a game. He seems to be trying to "swallow" more than usual and he's licking things - very odd for him. He licked the side of the car, the road!!! and I had to struggle to keep him from eating anything the way home. I didn't see anything happen prior to this and it's been about an hour. We came home and he was licking the floor in his pen and almost trying to bite/lick forcibly the grout in his pen area (which doesn't have any food or anything in it).
Should I do anything? He drank water and that was fine and he has been taking treats on the walk (happily) but he's just being weird with the licking and nibbling at the grout.
Thanks1
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian

Hi, at that age, it is possible that new teeth are coming in and may be making your puppy "mouthy". Provide things to chew on (kong toys are good for this) with supervision to insure that he does not eat or swallow anything he shouldn't. You can check his mouth and teeth for any abnormalities if he will let you look inside his mouth. If you are still concerned after a few days, you may want to have his mouth checked by a veterinarian to see if there is anything abnormal or if something else might be causing this problem. Be sure that he is getting a well-balanced diet (a commercial puppy food would be appropriate) so that there are no nutritional deficiencies which can also cause dogs to eat funny things. Let me know if you have any additional questions or need clarification.

Best,

Dr. Pearl

Just checking in to see how your puppy is doing. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Best,

Dr. Pearl

Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian